Thursday, December 25, 2008

Feedback to Health Canada RE: the Flu Shot please include Nepalese strains in future flu cocktails!

MERRY CHRISTMAS from Nepal! More specifically, Pokhara, the 2nd largest city in the country although it sure doesn't feel like it. It doesn't even come close to the chaos that is Kathmandu.

As the title suggests, I was utterly struck down by the flu on Dec 23. I was JUST getting over a cold from Everest, then on the 22nd starting to feel worse again and by the 23rd I couldn't leave my room. Covered in 5 blankets (it's 25 degrees here) I still had the shivers, every part of my body was sore, and well...everything inside of me was coming out every possible direction. It wasn't pretty. I'm not 100% now but am on my way up and out of it, I've already booked a ticket back to the Indian border by bus tomorrow and either I'll go to Varanasi or to Agra (last minute decision and will depend how I feel).

It sure doesn't feel like Christmas here. There was a "parade" I guess you'd call it...a pretty lame excuse for one. Mainly a few motorbikers dressed up in Santa hats...with a few "floats" 2 to be exact, with streamers and yelling children. Hey at least they tried I guess. I felt good enough to walk around...me and one of the guys working at the hotel and his wife went to see some caves in the area and a waterfall and we climbed up to the World Peace Pagoda high above the city. On a good day you can see the Annapurnas but all week has not been good...today was the best...I guess I used all my luck on Everest because the weather there was PERFECT. So I'm done with Pokhara for now, I'll be back some day to trek the Annapurnas but not now, not until I forget all about the exhaustion that was Everest.

Speaking of which: PICS! Please check out:
Everest:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErinSzumsky/Everest
Kathmandu:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErinSzumsky/Kathmandu#

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! I hope there is plenty of snow and it feels like Christmas wherever you are!!

2 comments:

Paul Bell said...

Get better.
Merry Christmas. xox

Paul Bell
Darwin, Australia

Erin said...

Merry Christmas Paul!